Hours ago, the chungkin swallowed *gulp* a piece of laminated tag which had adhesive on it much to my horror.
I kicked myself hard, for choosing to snooze in between while letting him play with his toy and books on his own and the next I knew, I saw a laminated tag sitting on the bed with a portion of it chewed off.
I did the next possible action that was running through my head – lie the boy down, forced opened his mouth hoping to find any bits of white paper with adhesive and attempt to take it out of the mouth but all I got was disgruntled boy who just wanted to continue playing.
I felt sick to the stomach. “What had I done?!” I kept berating myself as I looked around the rest of the cot hoping that the chewed off bit was lying in some corner.
I googled of course, but that didn’t make me feel any better reading that babies from all other parts of the world swallowed mainly tissues and paper but no adhesive of any sort was mentioned.
And then I had to do the next best thing – LET IT GO and JUST MONITOR.
“It happens”, another mom comforted me.
The cousin also snapped me out of it by reassuring that as long as he’s fine, that was the most important. She’s right. Maybe him being all hyper earlier wasn’t from whatever remnants of glue but from uhm…his active growing nature.
And as other parents who have ‘been there’ share, it gets worse when they hit toddlerhood. The things they eat, stuff into their ears and nose – some without us even knowing – like small sparkly stickers, lego, glitter stars etc.
It’s all part of the “kids will be kids” thing ain’t it?!