For a moment, a brief one on 31.12.13, I didn’t quite know what to expect from 2014.
2014 was the year I really wanted to make it count. Both the Bo & myself were going to enter the next decades of our lives and we wanted to challenge ourselves out of our comfort zones. There were travel plans in mind (hello NYC, Australia and Greece!) as well as family expansion God Willing (but if it didn’t work out, we promised ourselves that we wouldn’t get overly depressed because we were already blessed to have a miracle, Liam, in our lives) along with career growth plans that we wanted to work on yet honestly, I didn’t dare to set my expectations too high for fear of disappointments.
But one thing I did, and I made the Bo declare wholeheartedly with me was that we would do our very best to let go as much as possible, quit trying to control our lives the way we think would fit us best and leave it in God’s hands. We prayed for positive changes to take place in our lives, and little did we expect how the turn of events in the 1st quarter of 2014 would excite and surprise us beyond tears and words.
Here’s 5 highlights that took place in 2014 Q1:
1. I pulled off an amazing birthday surprise (if I may say so myself ;p) for the Bo’s 40th birthday. It was simple, nondescript yet epic on emotions and memories. Seeing the joy on the Bo’s face was priceless, in addition to the birthday gift which ticked off one item off his wish list
2. My mum pulled a birthday surprise on me the subsequent month by gathering my bestest friends to ambush me when I least expect it. For someone whose always organizing and pulling the pranks, getting punked in such an awesome way made me extremely extremely loved.
3. Our mr. two adapted to preschool very well within a week and I know that it was a Godsend when this school hadn’t even popped in my radar during the search for schools last year till a “liam’s play club mate’s mum” turned good friend suggested giving it a tour when we started doing school visits together. After several rounds of school tours, I’ve come to realize that curriculum aside, what really excites my son to school everyday is the openness of space, variety of outdoor play, nature walks, music & movement activities. And for the reasonable fees that we’re paying coupled with seeing how fond he has become of the school, I couldn’t ask for more. [p/s: Granted I’m on the wait list for a few more schools and haven’t exactly toured the place recently to get a feel of the environment, I trust that everything will turn out well]
4. My job. Where do I even start? I’m so grateful and thankful that I have the best possible working arrangement I’ve ever dreamt of in my entire career thus far of being able to work hard and play hard (with the little one after school), and being given very kind and understanding bosses. My colleagues are awesome. Work gives me a sense of satisfaction and achievement. And being able to still take Liam out on exploratory excursions and do fun stuff together? SCORE.
5. A baby. A guest at the Bo’s 40th party in early Jan asked if we were going to try for a 2nd child soon. Usually one to be mum about such things and skirt around the issue because this subject is rather personal to me especially when trying for Liam wasn’t exactly a walk in the park for us, I don’t know what overcame me, probably divine intervention, but I said confidently “yes” (and a few seconds later regretted doing so knowing how this same question would probably haunt me at our next few gatherings). Little did we expect news of a baby (really?) to come true weeks after despite our odds. It hasn’t been easy with the morning affairs of hugging the bowl, or being slapped with a high fever for 2 weeks, dealing with constant cravings or feeling so weak that it pains you to see your son a little upset that you can’t take him out to play as promised – a complete change from when I was expecting with Liam, yet I wouldn’t trade it for anything else, even Santorini. A great big blessing it is, and for this we’re ever so thankful.
I can’t express my gratitude enough to those who’ve told us how very happy they are for us, girlfriends that went the extra mile just so I wouldn’t overtire myself, family who have been utmost supportive, a super helper who has wow-ed me in so many ways with her humbleness and initiative…
2014 has indeed been more than kind and loving to us. I’m grateful, and sure hope it lasts for a long while…
Here’s ending with some random snaps that took place over the weekend:
Linking up with: