My first introduction to Young Living Essential Oils came about when I got sorely pissed in May, at my son’s refusal in taking his medication – 5ml of Ventolin was the key culprit amongst others being prescribed.
I ranted on Facebook, asked for tips/tricks and basically anything that would make my next feeding of medicines not as miserable as the last few ones. And within half a day, 100+ comments (my replies inclusive) flooded the post mainly from well-meaning & kind mums contributing their tried-and-tested methods from how-to-coax-with-distraction, to force-it-by-pinning-him-down!, to sneak-it-with-a-sweet-treat, to just rationalizing him how meds will make him better.
I tried all of the above but unfortunately for me, none worked. I eventually succumbed to pinning him down for the rest of the feeds because all I really wanted was for him to get better quickly so I could stop trying to do what was pricking my heart each time he cried at the discomfort of some yucky-tasting syrup down his throat. Plus it helped to have the mil’s firm hands each time I couldn’t bear to hold him down firmly myself.
A very kind mum then asked if I was open to trying a more natural method which she has been doing for her girls in the recent months whenever they were down with the sick bug, just to see if it would help. For someone who kept getting 39 & above celsius thermometer readings for the last 40 hours despite 3 cycles of 6 hour feeds of meds, I was downright desperate. So I said a big fat YES and asked how I could get my hands on a bottle of Young Living Peppermint Oil IMMEDIATELY.
Thankfully another kind mum had a spare bottle of Peppermint on hand and drove down to my place to pass me the moment she heard about my situation, empathetic about the stress that I must be going through with a sick toddler on hand. I was grateful for her kind assistance and 3 hours upon first application on the soles of my little fella, I was sold.
All it took was one drop of the therapeutic grade, unadulterated peppermint oil goodness rubbed between my hands and laying them on the soles of my son’s feet to bring his next thermometer reading to a 37.8. I was speechless. Coincidence maybe? I was going to find out more during my “introduction to oils” sharing session which kind mum #2 was hosting in a few weeks’ time. I continued rubbing a drop of peppermint oil on the soles of my little man’s feet every 3 hours thereafter and what made this experience so much better was that the kiddo actually enjoyed having me rub oil on his soles. Each time I said “oil?”, he would nod his head and go “yar”.
Not wanting to overwhelm myself with too many oils that might end up being white elephants, I started out with a few basics – Lemongrass, Lavender, Peppermint, Thieves, Purification being the few that seemed to match my needs (and budget) then. I even impressed our guests during a house party when I diffused Lemongrass after someone commented that she got bitten by a mozzie earlier, and offered her some ‘Purification’ oil to reduce the itch and inflammation (this impressed her even more when the itching and swelling stopped). Suffice to say, no one got bitten by another mozzie for the rest of the night. To find out more about the uses and benefits of these oils, you can read what other fellow local mom bloggers shared here, here, here and here.
It’s been 6 months since I started my journey using Young Living essential oils for me & my family – the son hasn’t needed to visit the doc since, I even got my little toe of dermatitis which was probably contracted from the nail salon I did an express pedi at healed within the day, I’ve lost some of that stubborn post partum belly from adding a drop of lemon to my jar of water whenever I remember to, biggest critic aka. the husband sang praises when a drop of “Thieves” helped him fight a nasty virus on the eve of an important meeting and regular drops of “Frankincese” has helped heal his feet blisters overnight from all that shuffling at the tennis courts.
And recently I’ve discovered and experienced the wonders these essential oils have done for my emotional wellness.
Not knowing which oils to purchase next, I took a zyto compass scan 3 weeks ago. I was surprised with the results.
Seems like the zyto compass scan knew my emotional health was compromised for a while now, my results comprised of recommended uplifting, “positive” oils such as “Christmas Spirit”, “Joy” to counter the negative energy that it was detecting and “Lady Sclareol” to naturally balance my hormones (again, I was surprised that it knew this much detail without me divulging any information).
Using therapeutic grade oils with natural properties to combat common ailments, that I could understand. But using oils to heal me emotionally? This, I had to try!
It’s been 1.5 weeks since I’ve started using the oils recommended based on my Zyto compass scan. Some friends have noticed more positive vibes coming from me during our conversations or text messages. And personally I do feel more refreshed, recharged, in charged and happier.
It was also when I bumped into someone (whom I had a bad falling out with) that I realized how effective these Emotional Wellness Oils were. For all that happened between us, I wouldn’t blame her for probably wanting to avoid all contact (I would!) but it just felt so instinctive and natural to call her name and asked how she was (also probably I did miss her). There and then, surge of positive energy was just oozing and oozing – a vast difference to how I felt with another incident of running into an ex-friend some months ago (and this falling out wasn’t even as bad, rather it was a random act on their part) and my heart just didn’t know how to manage those negative emotions despite the pleasantries exchanged.
I couldn’t explain the sudden euphoria and enthusiasm that took place for what would probably have been a reciprocation of mutual awkwardness by quickly exiting that space, but if there’s anything different that I’ve been doing – it’s been inhaling, applying (on the back of my wrists) and diffusing these feel-good essential oils. If you’re stressed at the workplace, perhaps it’s time to start diffusing some happy oils!
I’m no expert in the field of essential oils and am still discovering more uses for the oils I own and new oils every other day, but if you do have a query or questions that I can help with or direct to the most appropriate person to answer, please send a comment my way. I can’t reiterate how having a fantastic support group who are quick to respond to your EO-related queries really helps too!
There’s so much I’d love to share about, including what the Zyto Compass Scan did for my little boy (yep, his results surprised me as much as everyone else in the room) and how the recommended EOs provided almost immediate relief, along with great uses of other oils that we can use to massage and aid learning…which I’d leave for another post!
Meanwhile..here’s a 3 DAY GIVEAWAY that ends 30 November 2013!
From now till 30 November 2013, get a free bottle of 15ml LEMON and 15ml VALOR when you sign up for Young Living’s Essential Rewards Member programme via my(Natasha) ID: 1469292. Claim your offer from email@example.com after sign up and purchase is completed.
How to sign up:
1. Online (choose Sign up as: Young Living Independent Distributor option)
2. Call (65) 6391-0170 during office hours
Some uses of Lemon that I incorporate in my everyday:
– Put 2-3 drops in a jar of water to detox/cleanse/alkaline your body ph levels/relief heartburn (P/s: ensure your jar/cup/class is made of class else Lemon will dissolve items made from petrochemicals and styrofoam)
– Soothe those corn and callous by rubbing in 1-2 drops on affected area, twice a day
– Rub some on those cellulite area to improve circulation and help eliminate waste from the cells (I managed to shed off some :p)
– Make a homemade lemonade
– pssst: it’s a great mood lifter, especially for post natal depression so I think me drinking cups of it daily also helped managed those mood swings!
Some uses for Valor:
– Ward off negative emotions and increase your strength and courage when it’s time to have a serious talk with your boss or colleagues by massaging 1-2 drops on the back of your neck, temples and inner wrists. I personally use it whenever the Bo has a big meeting or presentation to attend to so that he feels great and starts on a great note
– I also use it to alleviate bruises/blue blacks on Liam whenever he has a fall or knocks into something (something which he is very prone to ever since he’s discovered running)
– Ease anxiety and yields confidence. I sometimes use it on the husband when he’s had a tiring/exhausting day just to calm him with it’s soothing smell
Other things to note:
1. This post is to share my experience using YLEOs and what has worked well for me/us as a family. As with all things especially when it comes to little ones, please research, check on usage/effects before using. Do what works best for you.
2. I am a Young Living Member and have signed up for the Essential Rewards Member programme to utilize the discounts off retail prices, rebates and membership perks (home diffuser at 3 months, etc.). If you purchase a minimum of 100PV in your first month like I did, you will be given a Start Living Starter Kit (worth $63).
3. If you have family or friends who are already members of Young Living, you can find out more info from them or sign up via their ID (you will not be entitled to the 2 x 15ml bottles of Valor and Lemon November promotion though)
4. If you wish to have an introduction or find out more about Young Living Essential Oils, please drop me a comment or email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org . I’d be happy to organize a group sharing session with an EO speaker who does nothing but share her knowledge!
5. I was not compensated nor sponsored any oils to write this post. But what prompted me to share my experience was from the recent incidences where I’ve realized that my negative energy and pessimism has been shrunk significantly combined with how we have benefitted from using therapeutic grade essential oils as a family.
6. I do not claim that essential oils replace medicine. I’m just one of those mums who gets icky about needing to feed my child medicine if it’s just one of those slight fever, cold or cough and am open to home remedies/alternative solutions/holistic approaches.
KEEP CALM AND OIL ON! 🙂